Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Finally found the sun













Well, I will put in an order right now for one month of weather just like we had Monday and Tuesday...warm enough to swim, calm enough to paddle, breezy enough to keep the bugs away (mostly). This was my parents' first night of camping in their new trailer, so they were also experimenting with equipment. Here is my support team at our lakeside campsite at Colonial Mast Campground. Megan and Dad gave the thumbs up to the new camping chairs. And I'd like to put in a good word for the kind folks and clean grounds there.


After driving up Monday, Megan and I unloaded our kayaks at the Harrison public boat launch at the north end of Long Lake. (This is the Long Lake in Cumberland County...there are others, including a Long Lake we will paddle on the Allagash. I guess Maine has so many beautiful lakes that there aren't enough names to go around). My spray skirts cover most of my gear...the large bag in the stern and the rest of the small bags in the bow. Putting on the spray skirts quickly is a new-found skill. I struggled mightily with them last summer until a very helpful woman at Maine Sport showed me how to slide them on, rather than trying to snap them into place.


You probably have figured out that I have a very supportive family. Well, for my birthday in January they surprised me with a handheld GPS, which captured our route past Bridgton to the campground above Naples...nine and a half miles in almost four hours...average speed of 2.7 miles per hour...navigating accurately to the waypoint for the campground. This lake on Memorial Day was definitely not a wilderness experience, more of a test of our ability to weave among jet skis and power boats and safely cross their wakes. Late in the day, though, the waterfront was serene and beautiful...the perfect end to a lovely mother-daughter day of fun in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment