Monday, June 27, 2011

All that I dreamed it would be...

The Rangeley section (Map 8) of the NFCT certainly lived up to my expectations... 46 1/2 miles - 41 by water and 5 1/2 by land. For now, here are just a few highlights. More later, as I plan to post a daily journal when I get home. I started on the Magalloway River at the Umbagog Wildlife Refuge Headquarters. Crossing Umbagog Lake in a strong NW wind, my boat handled well, sliding over the waves and getting me to Cedar Stump, where I camped at the bottom of the Rapid River. It was rapid, with some serious rapids! I, however, was portaging upstream. My cart worked fine, with all but the first 1/2 mile wheelable. I had so been looking forward to Forest Lodge and arrived just in time for a wonderful home-cooked breakfast. Chuck Ward was fly-fishing there and gave me my first on-the-water donation.

The Richardson Lakes are connected by the Narrows, where I saw the first moose of the trip (a young one), and camped the second night. Then it was on to Mooselookmeguntic, where I enjoyed the hospitality of Paul and Janie Hartman, son Jeff and grandson Joshua, who rode in the the kayak on the Oquossic portage. Boy, did I love their hot outdoor shower with a view of the lake. Paul Hartman kept me company the next day all the way to Rangeley State Park, where Mom and Dad were waiting with the first resupply. Crossing the rest of Rangeley Lake was a combination challenge and a breeze. The weather, after several days of gorgeous sun, turned rainy the night before, but I made it into Rangeley and the end of Section 8, feeling blessed by the weather and good friends along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment