Thursday, July 21, 2011

Safely home

Home now for a day or two and busy with the many details that were put on hold during the journey, among them finding a new vehicle to drive and catching up on all the work responsibilities.  Thought I'd quickly share a few more favorite photos from among those that have been uploaded so far.  My camera (which took all of these) met a tragic end in Chase Rapids on the Allagash.  And it wasn't in MY pocket at that moment!  
 
Early morning merganser with large family of little ones

Our fundraising thermometer stands at $7,850 currently, and I have some contributions here and around town that I will be gathering up and sending in tomorrow.  Exciting news also that there are three more fundraisers to support Paddle for Hope, thanks to the Bremen Union Church and the amazing young people in my life.  My daughter Megan will be holding a silent auction at the Skidompha Library July 26-30, with lots to bid on (dining out, electric trimmer, mini golf, lodging, and much, much more).


Grasses on Umbazooksus Stream

My aunt, Sue Sefcik, celebrates the successful crossing of Moosehead Lake on a windy morning


The Bremen Union Church had a nice surprise for me when I got back to my computer and their weekly news.  They have been holding a bottle drive on our behalf, which is ongoing.   Returnable bottles and cans may be dropped off in a big barrel at the church.  (And I'm excited to see you all tonight at Bible study!!)
Dad and Taylor with the locomotives at the Eagle Lake tramway


Bumble bee on lupine
Here is a link to this week's Lincoln County News article, which we wrote in the truck on the way home Tuesday.  Thanks to LCN for extending their deadline for our late-breaking story.  The article has a photo of me at the kiosk marking the eastern end of the NFCT, a moment that was certainly full of gratitude and accomplishment.


The final(?) fundraiser will be an organ, piano, and marimba concert at our church, Second Congregational UCC in Newcastle, on Sunday, July 31 at 7 p.m.  This musical evening will feature Timm Gormley and Mitch Boucher, both talented young musicians and students at Lincoln Academy.  (Timm is a good friend and did the artwork for my logo.)  There is a heart-warming, overwhelming feeling to think of how many, many people have helped with Paddle for Hope, probably almost everyone I know and quite a few that I didn't know! 

And, speaking of meeting new people, we arrived in Fort Kent at the Northern Door Inn to find that Team Moxie had finished the entire NFCT on the same day as I did.  Check out their blog, Moxie's Great Adventures, to read more - http://moxiesgreatadventures.blogspot.com/.  We spent a long time on Tuesday morning sharing stories and I even had my picture taken holding Moxie (their 4-pound Yorkshire Terrier and the first dog to complete the entire NFCT).  Those pictures are not available yet, but look for them sometime soon.  Justine and Tom had seen the note I left for them in the Hurricane Island journal on Flagstaff Lake and we had such fun meeting in person.  Well, off to another busy day, but more soon.


Rounded a curve on the Moose River coming into Long Pond, to see this darling baby with its mother


No comments:

Post a Comment