Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Wilderness beauty and companionship – Spencer Lake Dam to Jackman

My adventures on the Dead River have taken some of my confidence, for better or worse, and I have decided to alter my route… same mileage, but going around the upstream section. Rode to the top of Fish Pond to camp at the wonderful campsites there. I would have felt better if I had a reservation, although it was deserted.

                The following 17 – mile day took me down to the Spencer Lake dam and back, after sharing my breakfast time with a moose, the second of my trip. This dam has been rebuilt and is 20 feet high, requiring a scramble of a portage over high granite rock. These lakes are pristine and the epitome of Maine wilderness. The last few miles were a portage out of the Fish Pond campsites, across the Fish Pond bridge, and just past the POW campsite, which was full! Hid my boat well (wonder why?) and camped on a lovely woods road.

                There followed two fun days with a good balance of weather, adventure, food, and even a very satisfying shower. Portaged to Spencer Rips fairly easily, met my daughter Megan, who brought some wonderful stir fry, and tales of life in the real world. We camped at my favorite, Attean Falls, and completed the rest of the trip to the Jackman bridge without incident, leaving Megan at Attean landing. Our time together was all I wished for: great video of her running Attean Falls, a moose that she spotted, and no rain (no sun either!) And here I am camped at Moose River Campground about to venture in solitude again.

No comments:

Post a Comment