Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Bzzzzzzzzz!

A hint of the sun reflected in Webber Pond
Ah, the blackflies.  I haven't mentioned them, not being one to dwell on the negative, but they were out in full force last evening as I paddled the perimeter of the pond.  Perfect bug conditions, warm and calm, with even a hint of the sun through the clouds.  My combination of insect repellent and head net left much to be desired and the back of my neck is covered with bites.  I have a bug jacket still in its package, which I need to unpack (and quickly).  For those of you "from away" who are interested in a detailed bug report, we saw our first blackflies on April 30 and, as June progresses, they will gradually disappear.  No mosquitoes yet.

The residents of the two beaver lodges on the southern end of the pond kept me entertained and alert with one startling tail slap after another.  The powerful crashes resounded across the water, even when I was quite distant and paddling away.  Also saw red-winged blackbirds, a great blue heron, and my friends the loons.  Megan wondered Sunday how I could get excited anew at every loon, but I just do.

Our fundraising thermometer took a satisfying jump yesterday and now stands officially at $2,614, heading up toward our goal of $10,000.  And I have a bunch of money to take tomorrow on my visit to MCCP.  Please help us keep climbing!

No comments:

Post a Comment