Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Having fun shopping

The weather remains gray and damp...what better day for shopping?  My project for the early morning was to order some business cards for PFH.  Got 500 from Vistaprint for around $12 including shipping, which hopefully will get them here before I leave.  The cards are a pretty blue and include the PFH logo.

And speaking of the logo, thanks go out to Timm Gormley and Bill and Mary Bausch for creating it for me.  Timm did the original artwork and the Bausches teamed up to turn it into a logo.  Just one example of the many, many folks who are making this trip happen.  One who comes to mind is the friendly man who generously allowed me to take my kayak out of nearby McCurdy Pond, right across his newly-reseeded boat ramp.  They speak of "trail angels" on the AT and I am sure I will meet many a trail angel this summer.

My other purchase this morning was a lightweight copy of Thoreau's The Maine Woods, which will go along with me this summer. 

Look for another short article in this week's Lincoln County News, with this photo captured by Bill Bausch last Saturday as I was portaging past my neighbors' sheep.  Notice the head net which is surely one of the more valuable additions to the equipment list here in Maine.  The empty kayak moves along quite easily on the paved roads and smooth gravel shoulders on the downhill trip to Biscay Pond, less than a mile from my house.  There's even a short paved side road where it rolls along beside me with just a hand on the bow.  Oh, for such easy portaging on all 25 miles this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment