Saturday, May 28, 2011


This evening I said goodbye to Webber Pond with a bit of sadness, after many fun days exploring its coves and islands and enjoying its plentiful wildlife. Thanks are due to friends Steve and Jo Laurich, who allowed us to conveniently store our kayaks down by the shore. As I waited for Dad to arrive, the fog began to creep over the water and a perky pair of chickadees kept me company. We loaded up the kayaks, tying them securely to the roof rack, in preparation for our paddling and camping trip at Long Lake on Monday and Tuesday.

My SPOT team is in place and has begun reporting in, after receiving the first "all is well" message, sent from Webber Pond today. The SPOT sends each of the six people on the list an email with a link to my position on Google Maps, which is shown by a symbol. Click on the symbol and a box pops up with the exact latitude and longitude and the time that the message was sent. The consensus is that my new friend SPOT is pretty cool. I know that I feel a bit like an explorer setting off on an adventure in the rainforest, especially when I look at that little symbol on the map.

Earlier today my house was filled with a whirl of Mary Kay...as my friend Deb Walder made my daughter and her friends more beautiful than ever, as part of her Face Race fundraiser in support of Paddle for Hope. Add in some gardening and buying my fishing license and you have a very satisfying day!

No comments:

Post a Comment