Saturday, May 21, 2011

Looking closely in the fog

 

Rhodora! If the sages ask thee why
this charm is wasted on the earth and sky,
tell them, dear, that if eyes were made for seeing,
Then Beauty is its own excuse for being:
Why thou wert there, O rival of the rose!
I never thought to ask, I never knew:
But, in my simple ignorance, suppose
the self-same Power that brought me there brought you.

(from Rhodora, Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1834

The mood on the water this morning was tranquil, as fog softerned shapes and colors and the still waters created a mirror of reflections.  Fish rose gently to the surface and a trio of loons appeared near a misty island.  The lavender rhodora blooms punctuated the greens and grays of the wooded shore.  The atmosphere encouraged pauses to look deeply and appreciate nature.  Hope I remember to do that this summer.
My morning paddle started before eight and now I'm home, where the bright sun is a welcome sight.  The fundraising thermometer took a jump on Thursday and now stands at $1,989, almost a fifth of the way to the goal.  My friend Deb Walder has created an innovative "Face Race" with her Mary Kay business, to collect pledges toward Paddle for Hope, based on how many "faces" she does through the end of June.  How grateful I am for the support of my family and friends!  Well, the rest of the day beckons...with time for additional trip planning...and a trip to the Lincoln Theater to see the play, On Golden Pond.  Enjoy the sun!


No comments:

Post a Comment