Friday, May 27, 2011

Warm welcome at Maine Children's Cancer Program

Yesterday I visited MCCP and discovered not only a bright, cheerful, caring environment, but an amazing group of people who work so hard to save the lives of children with cancer.  Lianna Doane, Development Coordinator, has been the one enthusiastically helping me plan Paddle for Hope, setting up the webpage, helping with news releases, and processing and acknowledging donations.  Walking through the clinic with Lianna, I was deeply touched by the photos of the children that adorn the walls, many of whom stay in touch for years after treatment. 

Daisy the therapy dog provides love and comfort to clinic patients...she's a Labradoodle.

Here I am in the counseling room, with a mobile created from a myriad of colorful paper cranes, representing the hopes and dreams of the children and families who meet within these walls.  Our contributions will go to three areas:  research funding, new equipment, and psychosocial services for children and their families.  I often think how siblings, as well as patients, must benefit from being supported through these programs.



Lianna in one of the colorful treatment rooms...this popular room includes a play kitchen to add fun to the day!
There weren't any children at the clinic this late in the afternoon, but all of the staff spent time sharing information about their jobs and answering my questions and also enthusiastically asking many of their own about the details of my trip.  And, as I paddle this summer, I know that the support and good wishes of the MCCP staff will go with me on my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment